Groningen, my hometown since a couple of years. A student town with the a lots of nice spots to visit. After my student period in the city, the city is changing. Lots of good restaurants are popping up and since 2020 there is a new highlight in the city: Forum. A beautiful building with a nice rooftop view. Time to discover Groningen during a weekend break.
What to do in Groningen?
Groningen is a walkable city, so most of the things you can walk. Start you day with spending some time in The Groninger Museum, the most famous museum in the city. There are a lot of interesting exhibitions in The Groninger Museum during the year. Another highlight you can’t miss is The Martinitoren. There are a few steps to take, but the view is worth it. In a good day, you can the province from here. New in the city, is the Forum. A multifunctional building with restaurants, a library, places to study, a cinema and a rooftop.
Groningen has some pretty spots to see. Walk along the Hoge der A to see some boats and beautiful buildings. There are some hidden courtyards in the city to walkthrough.
Where to eat in Groningen
There are lots of good restaurants in Groningen. Hotspots with different kinds op kitchens or places to get some drinks. Some of my favorite places in Groningen:
- Dokjard – Dokjard is the place to start your weekend. You can find their own beers on the menu and a lot of other good beers. Also a good place to grab some food. Drinks – Dinner
A: Noorderhaven 63
- Florentin – At Florentin you wil find a real dining experience. On the menu you will find lots of Tel Aviv inspiration. Try the Balagan menu for the real Israeli experience. Lunch – Dinner
A: Langestraat 66
- Wadapartja – The atmosphere at Wadapartja is one of the reasons I keep coming back. It is a cosy restaurant with a vintage look. At the menu you will find recipes with a Groningse twist. Breakfast – Lunch – Drinks – Dinner
A: Gedempte Zuiderdiep 41
- Bij Britta – The best place in town for cakes and pies. There are some really delicious cakes on the menu. Cakes
A: Oude Kijk in ’t Jatstraat 27
- Buurman & Buurman – For really good pizza’s, you need to go to Buurman & Buurman. They serve a different kind op pizza’s, but they are really good to try. Dinner
A: Rodeweg 6
- Uurwerker – To start your weekend, you need to get some drinks at the Uurwerker. The best start of your weekend. Als the menu is pretty good. Lunch – Dinner – Drinks
A: Uurwerkersgang 24
- Feel Good – Healthy hotspot with lots of great healthy food and smoothies on the menu. A good place to start you Sunday morning. Breakfast – Lunch
A: Oude Kijk in ’t Jatstraat 29
- Food Matterz – Another great healthy hotspot with all products from local retailers. There is also a little shop inside the restaurant. Breakfast – Lunch
A: Oude Ebbingestraat 86
- Twee Jongens uit Groningen – Little cafe with good food for a good price. You can also choose for the foodsharing, a great combination of different kinds op food. Dinner
A: Schuitendiep 65
Where to stay in Groningen
I’ve had the privilege of sleeping in my own city in a hotel. One of the great places to sleep during your stay is The Student Hotel. It’s is little bit out of the centre (only a few kilometers, but walkable), but it is a very hip hotel. There are some permanent residents during the year, most of them students, but there are also opportunities to go there for the weekend. The interior is very instagrammable en there are some good facilities. The breakfast is also one of the good points from the Student Hotel.
A: Boterdiep 9